Sunday, October 26, 2008

K-9

K-9 from the show Dr. Who


So about a year ago I started a club here at BYU. It's the Dr. Who Club and its based off of the BBC show Dr. Who I signed up our brand new club to participate in the 2007 Homecoming Parade, so I made a banner with the help of Jeff and Lois and I also made a cardboard K-9 that sat on top of a remote controlled truck. As you will see, Lois and Jeff also made a cardboard/construction paper TARDIS.

So here is my photo journal of the construction and the parade.


First I started off with the dimensions of the truck

Then I built the body out of cardboard.


On the seams I used paper bags that were cut into strips and coated with Elmer's Glue.


The pattern I was using for the head was way to small (its the white piece of paper that's attached to the body). I used a flashlight on the wall to cast a larger shadow to blow it up. I had to do it one more time to get it proportional.


Here is the paper pattern for the head.

To hold the cardboard together while I hot the strips of paper ready, I used small bits of masking tape to hold everything in place.


Here is the head and body. On the left side of the body you can kind of see the mount where the head sits.

Here is K-9 before painting.

Here he is after the paint. It took 2 cans of paint to make him look right. The lettering on the side was done free hand in the parking lot before the parade. Shelby did a good job with the letters. (The letters are the only part that I did not do since I'm not to good at free hand art)


Here is a closeup of the head.

This is at the parade.

Here is the original club just before the parade. It was tons of fun having everyone there. We even had a bunch of candy that we threw out.

The TARDIS by Lois and Jeff

And here is the banner we made for the parade.



Here is K-9 in action. He lasted all the way from the Marriott Center till just past the duck pond (then the batteries died). So we went 1.4 miles on battery power and then just pulled him the last half mile.

I still have all the cardboard cutouts for K-9 but I cut along the seams and took him apart so that I could store him flat. The only piece the is still assembled is the head since that was the most time consuming portion.

No comments: